Saturday, January 24, 2009

Metrics: What Matters.

The old management adage, you improve what you measure, has been adopted by creators of digital media.  For this simply website I've installed the basic GoogleAnalytics package.  It has no cost to me and provides more information about traffic than I could hope to use.  

The experiment began on January 15th.  At that time, I had no visitors to this site and no followers.  Over at FriendFeed, a dozen people subscribed to my RSS.  There were 35 followers to my Twitter posts, 203 connections on LinkedIn and 340 Facebook friends.  It would be interesting to track the growth of these various networks, but that would miss the point.  

The objective of Radical Immersion is not necessarily to meet new people, connect with people I've known or to build a database or list.  These are incidental signposts toward a deeper understanding of how social media tools work and influence the broader business and political environment.

A handful of basic traffic statistics for the first week of measurement on this site are not all that impressive.  I say first week because the GoogleAnalytics package was initially installed wrong and didn't start working until January 16.  

72 Visits, 45 Absolute Unique Visitors, 122 Pageviews, 1.69 Average Pageviews, 2:10 Time on Site and 66.67% Bounce Rate.

It will be a little harder to capture the knowledge gained.  More on that in future posts.


No comments:

Post a Comment