Sunday, January 25, 2009

Ten Days Into the Exercise...and 50 Messages Went Out.

The big lesson so far is that I'm not nearly as intense of a social media user as I had thought.  Okay, so I have a profile on several platforms.  I Digg the stories that I like and hit the Share button on my GoogleReader for the really good bits that I see.  But the numbers are stark.  After ten days, this is only my tenth blog post.  There are only a handful of comments -- posted or in my email inbox -- and no epiphanies yet.

Alas, there is still time.  Last week I sent messages to 20 friends on Facebook to get more people involved in this conversation.  Today, I sent a message to 50 connections on LinkedIn for the same reason.  Welcome to all of you.

This post isn't full of insight or penetrating questions.  But I do have a good link for you.  Check out this short essay -- and equally important the graphics -- on the Twitter use in the U.S. Congress.  Hat tip: Steve Rubel.  Bottom line, the most influential talkers in the social media environment are the most active listeners.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting to see members of Congress actively using Twitter. It is also surprising Republicans outnumber Democrats. Is this because they feel the need to "connect" or because it is a useful tool? From what I read, less than 10% of Congress is using Twitter (44ish of 535).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Re: Outnumber. I'm not sure why the GOP outnumbers the DEM on Twitter. My intuition is that there is a first mover issue at play. There was a lone actor -- Rep. Culbertson -- who got out first and showed how the tool could work for Members. He is a Republican and recruited some technologically friendly colleagues to join him. The whole issue took off -- a relative term since we are talking about 10 percent of the population -- when the GOP staged a walk-out and showdown last autumn over votes on energy policy. Twitter and other real-time one-to-many communications platforms like Qik changed the media narrative of that policy debate.

    Thanks for following and commenting. Tell your friends.

    ReplyDelete