Sunday, February 1, 2009

First Race of the Year is Three Months Out.

My first race of the year is on May 9 at Lake Anna State Park.  Though I have done it twice before, the half Ironman distance is nothing to sneeze at.  In fact, after about six hours of forward motion propelled only by one's own energy and stubbornness, one can be forgiven for thinking that he can do anything.  However, it is just as likely that I'll end up in the fetal position questioning whether that stubborn streak is actually going to be my end.

After a month of training, I could be doing much better.  Only once did I touch a bike outside of my regular commute. In all of January, I ran barely more miles that I will during the race.  On a more positive note, I did log nearly 11,000 yards in the pool.  This is about 6.2 miles.

This is a good start to the year, especially considering that in all of 2008 I only did about 39,000 yards.  However, a reality check is in order.  Come May 9, less than 10 percent of the race will be done in the water.  To reach my goals, I have to hit the road.  Perhaps as many as 40-50 miles on the pavement and at least four trips out to the garage to ride on the rollers.

Later this month I'll be out West for a few days and will run at 5,400 feet.  It will certainly sear the lungs, but it will be better than lying prostrate on a hot Virginia morning in May.

No comments:

Post a Comment