Wednesday, February 18, 2009

The Obvious Question or a Straw Man?

Cece Salomon-Lee asks if you would trust your social media plans to a public relations firm that doesn't have a social media presence for itself. Clever, but too clever by half. In short, yes I would.

I trust a Ph.D.-MD to develop a course of treatment for a sick child, even if that academically oriented doctor does not work in a pediatrician's practice. I trust movie and music critics who are not themselves film makers and musicians. Likewise with car mechanics. Do all the guys at the local Toyota dealership have to drive a minivan in order to keep my machine safe and on the road? Nope; they don't even have to drive Toyotas.

Does experience matter? Absolutely. Should a firm practice what it preaches? Without any doubt. Can excellent counsel and service be offered by professionals who don't offer the same service to their own firm? Certainly.

Her work is at the intersection of PR and marketing. And, I have to say, I am extremely interested in the data she presents on various firms. It is good food for thought. It is not however the last word.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kent, You make a very good point that expeience isn't necessary to provide good counsel. I do believe that demonstrating competency with the social media tools lends credibility to the counsel, correct?

    Driving a Toyota minivan isn't necessary, but knowing how to work around the engine is. The PHD doesn't need to have a practice but does need to understands how the diseases acts and reacts to treatment. Couldn't the same be said of social media then?

    ReplyDelete