Saturday, February 21, 2009

Live Twitter -- Not for Me.

Three times in the past two weeks I've tried to tap into the larger online conversation via live Twitter blogging.  I am not a fan.

The first time I gave it a whirl was during a professional conference at the CU Law School.  A handful of folks in the audience were on Twitter and after a speaker on the very first panel made a point about a telecom crowd that doesn't know Twitter.  As you might guess, he wasn't impressed.  Nonetheless, we few, we merry few soldiered on at #sfdbm.  I had heard about conference participants who Twittered during presentations or to find each other during breaks at large, multi-day events.  I have to say, the Twitter stream didn't do much for me.  Perhaps, there were not enough people engaged -- probably less than five percent of conference attendees.  The main problem was that I was more interested in what the speakers had to say than the 140 character commentaries of the audience.

About ten days later I had the Amgen Tour of California on television in my office while I slogged away at some administrative work.  I jumped into the Twitter stream with a couple dozen posts and watched #atoc climb to number three in the Twitter trends.  It was exciting to see live posts from the team director of Astana home to Levi Leipheimer and Lance Armstrong's.  I watched as the collective reporting of the Twitterati beat the announcers on television with key information such as who had fallen, which rider was joining a break and winners of various climbing or sprint points available on the racecourse.  Yet, it basically served as a distraction.  Any given post was too short to convey rich information.  Perhaps doing three things at once is too much for me.  I was content to focus on my accounting while the television murmured from across the room.

Finally, during last week's episode of Lost I fired up the computer and watched in astonishment as scores of Twitter posts came in every couple minutes.  #lost was an immediate information overload.

Sadly, my conclusion is that multitasking is fine but multitasking with multiple streams of incoming information is too much for my slow mental processor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment